Freelancer.com

Freelance Jobs

Slideshow

Tuesday, July 7, 2009

San Francisco Silent Film Festival

It's coming up soon! July 10 - 12 at San Francisco's Castro Theatre, built in 1922.

Click here to see what's playing. I noticed that several of the films on offer were shown at Pordenone last October. Anyone who wanted to attend Pordenone, but couldn't, has the opportunity to see some of the movies that were shown there.

I think we should have more such festivals. Every capital city should have one, and large countries should scatter them nationwide. Each month should bring another festival, and not just a few movies, but a rich offering of silent-era movies.

(On a side note, while I do appreciate the fact that some filmmakers like to make modern-day short silent films, I never get anything out of watching them at festivals. I prefer to have only vintage films shown, and nothing recent.)

This may be the biggest festival until Pordenone this October. I've never been to it myself, so I can't vouch for it, but the combination of silent films and San Francisco has tremendous appeal.

No comments:

Post a Comment